Micro-teaching the teachers

I do a lot of lectures to a large group of students so I should not be nervous. However, before the micro-teaching session started, I felt a bit nervous. I don’t know why.

Nevertheless, I was eager to show as I have done some preparation work on this session. My objective was to introduce the injection moulding process and how it can be used across different categories. This is a common mass-production process and a basic understanding for product designers. I was hoping to introduce this process to a non-technical student/person/teacher.

Since it is two weeks before Easter, I have a set of eight cards/steps that show how injection moulding is/can be used to make a chocolate bar. I started off the introduction using a Lego® toy by saying it is one of the most recognisable item and it is mass produced by plastic injection moulding. On the table, I have six other objects, Unilever®  Lynx/ Baby Dove soaps, Cadbury® chocolate bars and a cupcake wrapper.

What I would have done differently?

I would have used questions to engage my audience/students/teachers. I would ask them if they knew what I am going to teach before I start. This small group teaching is very different from my large group 90+ students lecture and I always wanted to show products (as examples) in my lectures but found it really difficult. Product design students need to see these samples to learn and engage the objects in front of them. I have used the visualiser in lectures and depend heavily on images and slides (keynote/powerpoint). I am always looking at ways of implementing this type of visual studies in my lectures and seminars.

The next step for me is to try this type of teaching in the second week of Summer Term on Product Design students. I will be showing them the CSM materials library section using texture samples, material samples, colour reference charts and discuss potential methods of manufacturing to illustrate how they can design small size mass produced products.

Click on this link to see feedback from my peers during this session.