Reflections on Week 5 Formative Presentations 24th of October

This week we had a peer review of the work we have done so far. During the course of last week, I have encountered new challenges on the SIP.

This week, I have my last lecture of the term with Stage 2 students. At the end of lecture, I talked about the tutorials with me next week and used that as a starting point for my questionnaires.  The feedback was 50% reply from the group. The response was a bit overwhelming for me! I am looking through the responses now and constructing a “Word Cloud” to see areas of “concentrations”.

The next step after gathering feedback, is to start to put together an online form for this scheduled tutorial.  I used this format below:

Name:

If you want to be in a group, put your names here:

Time:

You agree that if you missed the time slot, you are not guaranteed to have another.

List your reading/ research references here:

1.

2.

3.

Upload your work-in-progress sketches/drawings/illustrations here:

List down your questions to discuss with tutor / group:

1.

2.

3.

List down possible next steps:

1.

2.

3.

My intention is that this online form starts to pin down some of the issues that I have doubts on:

1. Readiness – the mindset of student and how he/she approaches the work. Being self-reliant or waiting for answers?

2. Preparation – the pre-reading, gathering useful research and collating them in a concise manner.

3. Focus on project/topic – giving a heads up on the upcoming tutorial, and when the tutorial is ongoing, steering the tutorial to reach the next step (in the project.)

4. Willingness – how receptive they are to attend and discuss? This can be an ongoing issue with student attending tutorials, especially students from Confucius-Heritage background.

Lastly, some feedback from my peers for the Formative Presentations (my reflections):

Identify a topic for enquiry, justifying its professional significance. [Analysis]

1. Perhaps more academic references /pedagogy theory around tutorials in Art and Design context.

2. Question about “Mass Intellectualisation”

(KC: I have started to explain “mass intellectualisation” in my Week 4 reflections (link). This terminology has now been dropped off my Inquiry as I find it too difficult to explain to undergraduate students in a very short time. I have listed a few academic references in my readings and perhaps that has been overlooked at the end and being last person presenting. I have also started to read HEA’s Pedagogic theory (link) which might further inform my inquiry.

Investigate methods of enquiry appropriate to the specific contexts of the topic. [Experimentation]

1. Question about what the questionnaire data will be used for?

2. Lots of methods > how did you decide on them and do you need to use them all?

(KC: For my inquiry, the questionnaire can reveal a general understanding and provide areas of focus from the student’s perspective. The various methods that I have discussed in my presentation might change slightly as I progress. i.e. for PhotoVoice, I see that less relevant. I am replacing that with asking students where an ideal place for tutorial would be….)

Conduct a scholarly enquiry. [Research]

1. Lots of evidence given about methods

2. How do tutorials work in other departments / courses?

(KC: understanding the teaching methods away from my course is an interesting thought ! I have done a literature review on the way tutorials are run in Liverpool hope business school (link) This was also the reason why I think doing a peer observation with another tutor doing a tutorial in a different course might unpack some insights.)

Present project findings in a coherent, context-sensitive manner. [Communication and Presentation]

Clear presentation.

(KC: Nice compliment! …..after an intensive session)