Reflections on 3rd week’s session using PBL tutorials (10th October)

Reflections on 3rd week’s PBL tutorials

I have been continuing to tweak my working title for this enquiry. So far I have firmed up on these:

How do students benefit from tutorials in this age of mass intellectualisation?

How can tutorials be effective in a student’s learning process?

The most valuable thing I got out from this tutorial is our expectations of a tutorial through the eyes of a student vs tutor? If I can position this enquiry starting with stating/defining what a tutorial could/should be about.

I have looked at a case study from Liverpool Hope Business school where tutorials are not effective and they have turned into mini lectures by tutors. I have also made connections of this with my own tutorials with students where they use the session as a answer to technical questions. So, is there a way to formulate a set of “rules”.  In that case study, the students were expected to read materials, write questions and participate in discussions within the tutorials

I started to think what could help me in setting up student tutorials as the large cohort can be repetitive, confusing for me and restrict my ability to spot distinct individual works.

1. Set up a tutorial form and let them know they need it before tutorial

2. Ask student to write down concise explanation of project

3. Ask student to write what have they read, researched

4. Track their individual progress in a chart, document folder.

5. I need to decide if group or individual tutorial is appropriate.

6. How about student-led discussions? Set time limit for each?

7. Can be a challenge to encourage active participation.

Methods

I have researched various approaches and started to formulate initial questions for my questionnaire/survey.  Having access to a large cohort of students, it is intrinsic to gather initial feedback from them. As I recall this PBL session is also a tutorial, the use of a SIP tutorial form in here also allows me to reflect on it’s meaning and significance for the student that is preparing for this session. The ability to prepare depends on the willingness of the student and this disposition comes into play here: A SIP’s success can be based on this !

Next steps :

Consider removing effectiveness? But before I do that, I want to be able to look at what that means from a student’s point of view. Currently, my research question is based around how students view and use their tutorials in their learning process.

My rationale for choosing the methods lies in the ability to predict and also generate a set of data that provides a basis to build a case study or understanding.

Methods i am using includes:

Questionnaire

Backcasting

Behaviour Mapping

Peer Observations

Focus Groups

There is also a discussion of making/using appropriate tools within tutorials. I am going to identify and research further into these as some of these methods can have implications on the participants. I have added my action plan and I will refine and tweak if my methods has shifted.

My ethics form will need some work and reiteration. I started off with something very generic and I have to foresee/pre-empt if the methods can have any dire impact on the participant. BERA seems to be a good place to start and I would have to look into the peer observation implications if I want to continue in that area. I will also need to sort out the participant information sheet and consent form.