Reflections on 3rd week’s session using PBL tutorials (10th October)

I have been continuing to tweak my working title for this enquiry. So far I have firmed up on these:

How do students benefit from tutorials in this age of mass intellectualisation?

How can tutorials be effective in a student’s learning process?

The most valuable thing I got out from this tutorial (with Pras and Abbie) is our expectations of a tutorial through the eyes of a student vs tutor? If I can position this enquiry starting with stating/defining what a tutorial could/should be about.

I have looked at a case study from Liverpool Hope Business school where tutorials are not effective and they have turned into mini lectures by tutors. I have also made connections of this with my own tutorials with students where they use the session as a answer to technical questions. So, is there a way to formulate a set of “rules”.  In that case study, the students were expected to read materials, write questions and participate in discussions within the tutorials

I started to think what could help me in setting up student tutorials as the large cohort can be repetitive, confusing for me and restrict my ability to spot distinct individual works.

1. Set up a tutorial form and let them know they need it before tutorial

2. Ask student to write down concise explanation of project

3. Ask student to write what have they read, researched

4. Track their individual progress in a chart, document folder.

5. I need to decide if group or individual tutorial is appropriate.

6. How about student-led discussions? Set time limit for each?

7. Can be a challenge to encourage active participation.

I have started to look into various methods and have researched more in-depth into each approach. I will need to narrow down to just a few. To use these in my enquiry, I will need to draft out a scope of work. At the same time, I am also starting to formulate (initial) questions for the survey/questionnaire.

Next steps

Consider possibilities of further defining working title and perhaps removing the word “effectiveness”. Alternatively, I could change into “uses” instead which allows my enquiry to become an understanding case study. This is what I need to firm up!

Methods so far I have discussed are:

Questionnaire

Backcasting

Behaviour mapping

Observations – tools to use within tutorials?

(I might need to research further into these.)

For my ethics and consent form, I have to include the various impact that I can foresee in using observations. My plan is to ask my peers (tutors) to conduct observations on my behalf. This method might need to have a rethink. So, need to re-iterate on my participant information sheet and consent form. I have stated my action plan but it would be good to redefine or re-iterate if my methods shift.