Reflections on 2nd week’s session on Methods of Inquiry (3rd October)

After leaving the RCA for more than 12 years, today is the day where I get a recap of all the methods used in academic research.

Yes, it’s all coming back now……..

We discussed methods as tools and methodology as approach. This is pretty good to describe what we are going to do in the next few weeks where we will be using multiple methods to do research and collect data. Our discussion includes:(my comments in brackets)

Questionnaire: Specific, intended for the masses and generate metadata study

Photovoice: Open-ended and subjective approach. (Quite like to think that this can provide some sort of grounding for my work in situating the physical context)

Interviews: Permissions from conversations, Visual cues and links for interviewers.(Need to use this to gather my primary data)

Email Interviews: Non real-time and can be done in various languages (Possibly useful for my approach to gather interests in very early stage.)

Observations: Natural Settings (I read about participant and non-participant type where i can use either to gain understanding)

Photo Elicitation: John Berger’s Ways of Seeing Book, Inspire/trigger and choice of images is important. (This can be the outcome of Photovoice and i can use this in Focus Groups later)

Focus groups: Importance of Transcripts and Participation. (Something that I need to read up)

Case studies: Various inputs and a range of data can be collected. (Most suitable/relevant method for my enquiry so far)

Ethnography: People in natural setting. (In the consultancy that I used to work in, we do this often)

Auto ethnography: Self-reflective. (Interesting read: Paris is burning.)

Practice based research: Related to discipline. Practice also means making? John Wood’s 2000 History of Writing in Art Book.

User Journey: Mapping process.

Drawing: Visualisations.

Cultural probes.

Narrative enquiry.

Action research: Problem solving to a certain extend.

My group discussions is with Jenny, Josef, Matt and Laura. We tackled

Questionnaire

and Photovoice.

At the end of the long day, I have started to rethinking my working title and the methods I might use: Photovoice and Observations has their pros and cons. I have also started to think about Sub-questions and biases that I might have during the inquiry.

Focus Groups seems quite a good way to summarise and position the data collection. This session will have to be recorded. Participants have to be informed before start of session and I have to remember to request permission to use their words. I need to come up with a Consent form.

We concluded the day with us being Insider Researchers, which does provides an empathetic perspective on our inquiry which can be challenging…