Observations for 20th of June’s Discussions on T&L.

There was a lot of discussions in today’s sessions, in pairs and groups. I see this as a summary of what we have experienced so far in T&L.  In my opinion, the most interesting thing discussed was Silent Teaching. I find this interesting and I’ll be looking into this shortly…

We discussed about these:

Design & Plan

The importance of planning a lecture and how a lesson plan has helped me when I subdivide the long sessions into several activities. There are always minor changes or improvements during the lecture session. Subsequently, I have also learnt to align learning outcomes with the topics in my lectures. These are extremely useful for ongoing student project work.

Support Learning

It is important to understand what are my student’s current knowledge level and learning capacity. Each student would be different in the diverse cohort. I believe that what drives their learning can be positioned in a context where they are provided with an overview of the topic. This can either be written handouts for dyslexic students or a one page concise slide. Can they also learn from taking notes ?

Assessments

How do we know what students felt in that session?

Is there a way to avoid surface level learning, where they cannot connect topics with project work?

If we give a hint of the assessment criteria, would that enable them to understand the teaching better?

Feedback

How to know how the students felt about the lesson/session? The students might not acknowledge verbally in a large class and there are possibilities of miscommunications. I think asking students if they have any questions can also be futile. I will need to look into “innovative” ways of getting feedback from students after each session with them. Is there a way of knowing this without asking (Tutor feedback)?

Is there evidence that teaching is there?

Checking

Checking allows tutor to check if every student is on the same “page.” I believe this is critical and  a way to gather feedback. However, I felt this needs to happen during the lesson to ensure that I am effective in delivery of content. We also discussed that checking can be Interactive and led by the tutor.

Other things mentioned in the discussion is how lectures can be a show and tell? So what is a lecture exactly? Iestyn also mentioned a book: 53 Interesting Things To Do  In A Lecture by Anthony & Karen Haynes, 2012 which I have started to read and there is a few key points like Uncompleted Notes which I would like to use and also some points which I have already been doing (Review and Modelling Discipline) Very helpful Indeed !