Reflections on Whitehead, A.N. 1929. Universities and their Function. In the Aims of Education and other essays. The Free Press. pp91-101

These writings are refreshing for me as it describes the histories of some of the most elitist colleges in UK and US. This is written at the time when the business school is starting in Harvard.

I want to bring your attention to the point where he says that a way to connect between the young and the old is the University. Currently, this is not necessary true as a fair number of students do stay on in their respective academic fraternity after they graduate and gradually turning into key figures.

In some aspects, his thinking is quite ahead of his time in this writing. He “hints” on globalisation and the business effects it has and he sees the results of people moving across borders as good for future generations.

His discussion on “how prolonged work routine dulls the mind of young men….hence, we need to find ways to deter this” is intriguing and I have started to look at what I do from what he said about the imaginative acquisition of knowledge.

He also sees how the scholars, discoverers and inventors can be part of the force that develops into the “Instruments of Progress”, a thinking which I have started to take notice now.

Also, the statement where he says “that some of the more brilliant teachers are not among those who publish” is interesting and applicable, as a practitioner/teacher like me, need to find the balance as i think direct communications with my students is perhaps more approachable than books.

This has reminded me of the 2008 Harvard commencement by JK Rowling, which is also a book: Very good lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the importance of Imagination.

One Reply to “Reflections on Whitehead, A.N. 1929. Universities and their Function. In the Aims of Education and other essays. The Free Press. pp91-101”